Founded in 1596 by John Whitgift, Archbishop of Canterbury. In 1931, it moved to its present site in Haling Park, occupying 45 acres of wooded parkland which provides exceptionally beautiful surroundings for an urban school. The buildings are well designed and equipped, including a sports centre with multi-purpose halls, variable-depth 8-lane swimming pool, moveable-wall squash courts. One of its fundamental aims is to balance an excellent academic record with a wide range of co-curricular activities. Pastoral care is at the foundation of its provision. It is academically strong, achieving excellent examination results; a high proportion of sixth formers go on to Oxbridge and other Russell Group universities. The International Baccalaureate is offered as an alternative to AS and A-levels, and BTEC National Diplomas. It offers an unusually large range of languages, supported by many visits and exchanges. Very strong in music, drama and art. High standards, too, in sports and games of which there is a wide variety, and an outstanding number of representatives at regional and national level. A flourishing CCF and outdoor pursuits scheme. A plentiful range of extra-curricular activities, a substantial commitment to local community services and a good record in the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award.