Founded in 1584 by Robert Johnson, the school is integrated into the small and attractive market town of Uppingham in a beautiful part of central England. The town itself is a conservation area and many of the school buildings are listed. The buildings and 60 acres of playing fields are spread right across the town, providing a close ‘town and gown’ relationship. There is a fine theatre and separate drama studio, 3 music schools (the most recent with state-of-the-art facilities and recording studios) and a purpose-built art, design and technology centre designed by Peirs Gough (an old boy); sports facilities include astroturf pitches, a shooting range and a new sports centre. The 15 boarding houses are ranged around these facilities like a university campus. Some of the buildings are from the period of the great 19th-century headmaster, Edward Thring, who pioneered a variety of musical, sporting and practical activities, then virtually unknown in comparable schools. Many of the school’s distinguishing characteristics were determined under Thring’s Headmastership: that houses should be small and family-like; that boys (and now girls) should have privacy; that an all-round education should be offered to a broad range of pupils and that children are happier and learn better in inspiring surroundings. It is a Church of England foundation and the whole school meets in the chapel, 5 days a week. A large staff allows a staff:pupil ratio of around 1:7 and there are small classes across all subjects. The standards of teaching are high and examination results are very good. Music is extremely strong and there are is a great range of ensembles. Drama is also well supported with many productions each year. The school has long had a high reputation for its achievements in sports and games. There is a very active CCF and community service department. A wide range of extra-curricular activities are available.