Founded in 1886 it moved to its present site in 1935. It has purpose-built premises on a single site in woodlands 1Î_ miles from the town centre and 2 miles from the coast. The junior school is housed in its own buildings on campus but makes full use of the senior school facilities and specialist staff; junior pupils are encouraged to feel an integral part of the school. There are very good facilities, including a science centre, music school, sports hall, astro-turf hockey pitch and heated swimming pool. It offers a broad and balanced curriculum. Academic standards are high and examination results very good. Flourishing art and drama departments and a tremendously strong music department. It is a Church of England foundation but pupils of all faiths and denominations welcomed; a multi-faith chaplaincy committee exists to serve the needs of all. The school aims to provide a stimulating holistic education in a caring environment for all its pupils. Excellent range of sports and games (numerous county representatives) and fine variety of extra-curricular activities.