Founded in 1884, the school moved to its present location in 1931 where it occupies an attractive 45 acre site on the outskirts of Winchester, overlooking open countryside. Recent improvements have created modern facilities that include both a performing arts centre and a library, careers and ICT facility. There are extensive playing fields, a sports hall and a 25m swimming pool. The junior school is on the same site. The school is a Church of England foundation with close ties to the cathedral and, while pupils of other denominations are welcome, all are expected to attend regular worship. Academic results are high, but the school’s aim is to provide pupils with a rounded education. Accordingly music, drama, art and technology are all strong, as is sport in which there is regular representation at county, regional and national levels. There is a tradition of service to the community through initiatives such as fund-raising for charities and local community work. There is also a good range of activities on offer, including the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award Scheme.