Founded in 1584 by Robert Johnson, Archdeacon of Leicester and was, until 1960, a small, local boys’ school. Over the next 10 years numbers almost doubled and girls were admitted in 1971; there have now been broadly equal numbers of boys and girls for many years, and an even balance of day and boarding pupils. The houses mostly face onto the extensive playing fields and gardens, in the attractive, small country town of Oakham. Facilities include an excellent library, modern science, art and design centres, a theatre and music school. There are extensive sports facilities including two all-weather pitches (one floodlit), and a sports complex with swimming pool, fitness centre and squash and fives courts. It aims to provide a happy, friendly environment; a school that is both forward-looking and down-to-earth, underpinned by Christian principles. The large staff allows a staff:pupil ratio of about 1:7 and a lot of attention is given to the individual. Academic standards are high and examination results very good. The International Baccalaureate is offered alongside the traditional A-levels in the sixth form. It is also strong in music, art and drama. There is a very high standard in sports and games (a large number of county and national representatives). There are numerous other extra-curricular activities, a flourishing CCF, an outstanding record in the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award Scheme, and a substantial commitment to volunteering both locally and overseas.