Founded in 1878, it occupies a fine site with very handsome buildings in a pleasant urban residential area. The senior and junior schools are on one site, with the playing fields; the new nursery is nearby. Originally a boys’ school, the school has been co-educational since 1998. The school’s goal is to nurture youngsters who can think for themselves; who will act responsibly and be respectful towards others; who will engage in many different activities in and out of the classroom. There is a big range of sports and games (the school has produced a large number of international and county representatives) and of activities. There is a flourishing CCF and considerable emphasis on outdoor pursuits.