Founded in 1741, one of three schools of the Alleyn’s College of God’s Gift foundation and the oldest independent girls’ school in London. Usually known as JAGS, it moved in 1886 to its present site of 22 acres in the pleasant inner London suburb of Dulwich. There have been massive additions since 1978 to provide excellent modern facilities, including a theatre (designed to professional standards), dance and drama studios, an artificial turf pitch and a swimming pool. Inter-denominational, it puts some stress on the inculcation of Christian ethics. Its declared aims are to encourage and promote: intellectual curiosity, enthusiasm and imagination; concern for others; confidence and independence of mind; and the pursuit of excellence (whatever the undertaking). A popular school, it is well-known for its good teaching and academic achievements. Examination results are excellent and many sixth formers go on to Oxbridge. There is a big commitment to music and drama, and art is extremely strong. There is some collaboration with Dulwich College in cultural enterprises. It has an unusually wide range of sporting and games activities and is very strong in extra-curricular activities, including debating. It has strong links with local community and is involved in the government independent/state school partnership scheme.