Founded in 1556 and endowed by the will of Robert Hammond, which provided for a school room beside the parish church and for a master’s salary. The present buildings, which are on a single green-field site with 27 acres of playing fields adjoining, date from 1939. Recent extensions and developments provide very good facilities and accommodation – most recently a 3G all-weather sports ground, a boathouse (jointly with Lady Eleanor Holles), and a state-of-the-art performing arts centre. Academic standards are high and examination results excellent, though the school also encourages personal responsibility and independent thinking. An extremely strong music department as well as considerable strength in drama and art; concerts, musicals and plays involve all age groups. A high reputation in games and sports and a large number of county and international representatives; the school particularly excels at football, cricket, rugby and rowing. There is a flourishing CCF, an adventure society and the school has a good record in the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award. There are also strong links with local primary schools and a busy community service programme.