Founded in 1842, originally for the sons of missionaries, it occupies a single suburban site of 70 acres, in handsome buildings (originally the mansion of Lord Bathurst). It remains loyal to its Christian foundation. Girls have been admitted to the sixth form since 1978. Excellent all-round facilities are provided; there is a sports centre, library, music school and, most recently, the Gerald Moore Gallery. The junior school is attached and has recently been refurbished; over 80% of its pupils move on to the senior school. Examination results are very good and a high proportion of leavers go to Oxbridge. Very strong in musical activities, sport and in drama (there is a purpose-built theatre). Standards in sports and games are high and there are national and regional representatives in many sports. There is a substantial commitment to local community service and a wide range of clubs and societies.