Founded in 1563 by royal charter of Queen Elizabeth, it is one of the original HMC schools. The upper school lies on a hill overlooking the town and harbour of St Peter Port. The playing fields are on 2 sites of about 20 acres. A well-equipped establishment with plentiful modern resources including astroturf pitches, an art and technology centre, drama studio, sports hall and an outdoor swimming pool. A sound basic education is given and examination results are very good. A sixth-form partnership with the nearby Ladies’ College allows a broad choice of A-levels to be taught in a co-educational environment. A good range of games, sports and activities is provided, and high standards are achieved in football, hockey, cricket, fencing and shooting, including success in national competitions. It is strong in music and drama. It has an active community service unit, a voluntary CCF and takes part in the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award.