Founded in 1619 by Edward Alleyn, the Elizabethan actor-manager, it moved to its present 70 acre site on the edge of Dulwich village in 1870. It has very handsome, patrician buildings set within a big expanse of playing fields; extensive building programmes have provided excellent facilities including a new sixth form centre, a caf©, a purpose-built music school, a 250-seat theatre, three libraries and exemplary ICT facilities. It aims to provide an environment with a good work ethos where pupils acquire an independent and critical approach to learning and where they can feel secure and equally valued whatever their cultural and social background. Academic studies are well run by a large and well-qualified staff and pupils consistently produce excellent examination results. Music plays an important part in the life of the school. A 250-strong choir undertakes major works and there are several orchestras and smaller groups. Drama involves a large number of pupils in numerous productions and the art school produces work of a high order. The design and technology centre has workshops for engineering, boatbuilding and cabinet making. With extensive grounds, a boathouse and a field centre, it offers a wide range of sports, and standards are high. Over 40 clubs and societies meet regularly, offering a broad co-curricular programme, ranging from debating to fencing and, the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award to community service.