Founded in 1552 by King Edward VI for children in need of a boarding education. In 1985 the boys’ school at Horsham and the girls’ at Hertford joined to form one co-educational boarding school. It has splendid buildings, in an estate of 1200 acres, built in 1902 when the boys’ school moved from London. It is very well equipped; recent developments include refurbishment of all boarding accommodation and a new language and resource centre. The sports and social centre not only offers very fine facilities for the school, but also a chance to integrate with the wider community which shares the facilities. The school is a well-run establishment with high standards of teaching and very good examination results. The staff:pupil ratio is about 1:9. The school has particularly generous bursary support; the majority of pupils benefit, most of whom enter from state primary schools. There is great strength in the creative arts and the school is famous for its music. Numerous dramatic entertainments are staged each year in the school’s Shakespearean theatre. The school is also very strong in games and sport. A wide variety of activities is available. There is a strong community action group. The Model United Nations group is popular, as are the CCF and Duke of Edinburgh’s Award and many other clubs and activities.