Founded in 1850, and now one of the leading independent schools in southern England. Girls have been accepted into the sixth form since 1989 and the school became fully co-educational in 2005. It is located in the village, occupying very attractive brick-and-timber and brick-and-flint houses in one of the prettiest regions of Berkshire. The total grounds cover about 200 acres. The accommodation is excellent and there are very good facilities, including IT, music and design centres, a sports complex, indoor tennis centre, golf course and all-weather pitches; a state-of-the-art science centre opened in 2010 for pupils and the local community. It is a Church of England foundation and Christian values are embodied in the life of the school, but those of other denominations are very welcome. The school aims to inspire its pupils to become confident, open-minded and creative future members of the global community. Examination results are good. It is very strong in music and drama and Greek plays are performed every three years. Strong in sport and games, with numerous representatives at county and regional level. There is a CCF unit, which emphasises adventure training and leadership skills, alongside plentiful outdoor activities including the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award Scheme and sailing on the gravel pits at Theale.