Bolton School (Girls)
Founded in 1877, under the provision of the first Viscount Leverhulme. The boys’ and girls’ divisions, together with their junior schools, are a single foundation; the senior schools and the girls’ junior are all set in 32 acres on the western side of Bolton. The site comprises of the handsome stone school buildings and their grounds, playing fields and a pretty woodland area. The school is well equipped with a fine library, spacious hall and a fully-refurbished traditional theatre. There is also an arts and conference centre and an indoor sports complex with swimming pool. Examination results are consistently very good. Music and drama are strong and involve a large number of pupils, who reach high levels of achievement. A wide range of sports and games is available and the school has many representatives at county, regional and national level. Numerous clubs and activities cater for extra-curricular needs and the school has an outdoor pursuits centre, Patterdale Hall, in the Lake District. Regular expeditions at home and abroad are organised. Pupils also have a commitment to the school’s local community service and Duke of Edinburgh’s Award Scheme. There are many joint activities with the boys’ division, including music, drama and the debating society.