Bolton School (Boys)
Originally founded before1516 and endowed by Robert Lever in 1641, it is comprised of impressive older buildings plus modern additions. It is on an estate of 32 acres in an urban residential area, a mile west of the town centre. The prep and junior departments are nearby. The boys’ and girls’ divisions are in the same building and, although the organisation of the two divisions provides single-sex education, there are many opportunities for boys and girls to meet and cooperate in the running of trips, societies and other activities. A broad traditional education is given and it has a high reputation far beyond Bolton. Academic standards are high and examination results very good. Though non-denominational, Christian beliefs are encouraged. Extra-curricular activity is taken very seriously: both music and sport are strong and there are many clubs. A good deal of emphasis is placed on health, fitness and outdoor pursuits (based in its own outdoor education centre in the Lake District) and scouting is strong. The boys have built their own sailing boat, Tenacity of Bolton, and sailing is offered as part of the curriculum .