Founded and endowed in 1604 at the sole charge of the estate of Peter Blundell, clothier of Tiverton, by Sir John Popham. In 1882 it moved to the outskirts of Tiverton, to occupy an estate of 80 acres with beautiful gardens and playing fields. The grounds now extend to 90 acres and include its associated prep school. Its well-equipped buildings provide good facilities and comfortable accommodation. The school maintains a Christian tradition and Anglican practice; all pupils are expected to attend weekday morning chapel and the school service on Sundays. Founded as a boys’ school, it first accepted girls to the sixth form in 1976 and became fully co-educational in 1993. There is a large sixth form and a staff:pupil ratio of about 1:11. Academic standards are high and examination results good. The school has always been strong in music and drama. Art, crafts and technology are also flourishing fields of work and study. A wide variety of sports and games are available and played to a high level. Many clubs and activities cater for most conceivable interests. There is a large CCF, Duke of Ediinburgh Award and other activities include climbing, canoeing, abseiling, flying, sailing and expeditions on Dartmoor and Exmoor. There is an unusually big commitment to local community service.