Founded on its present site in 1866 by the Rev J J Kendon, a Baptist minister. Until 1948 it was run as a small school by members of the minister’s family. It remains relatively small with a family atmosphere and the chapel has an important role. Modern developments now provide good boarding and classroom facilities in an idyllic rural setting. A large staff allows a favourable staff:pupil ratio of about 1:8, so that there is a range of individual attention to be given, both academic and pastoral. From Year 8 all pupils work on laptops across the curriculum, with wireless access throughout the school. There is considerable commitment to drama, art and music. A wide variety of sports and games is provided and a range of extra-curricular activities. The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award scheme is popular and successful.