Founded in 1923, the main building is a neo-Elizabethan mansion (built in 1862) in enormous gardens designed in the 19th century. It is set in 240 acres of parkland and woods in one of the loveliest regions of Kent. There have been numerous recent developments and excellent facilities, most recently a new theatre and drama teaching complex, library, refurbished chapel, extended art and design facilities and improved boarding houses. Exceptionally well equipped for sports, games and recreations. Predominantly a middle/upper-class school, it is a fully boarding community of high academic achievement. A large staff allows a very favourable staff:pupil ratio of about 1:6 and examination results are excellent. It is strong in art, music and drama and has a good range of sports and games; lacrosse is a particular strength. The school follows Christian principles and its worship is based on Anglican practice. It enjoys flourishing links with the local community and, unusually, has a post-GCSE exchange programme with South Africa. Senior girls help and visit the elderly in the neighbourhood and help in the local primary school; all girls are encouraged to make friends in the local community, particularly within the parish. Local voluntary organisations call on the school’s support. There is liaison with local boys’ schools for debates, dances and musical entertainment, as well as established house links.