Established at Ampleforth in 1802, the school adjoins the Benedictine monastery and abbey of St Laurence in a stretch of magnificent Yorkshire countryside, close to York. The monastic community descended from the monks who, in 1608, founded a monastery at Dieulouard in Lorraine. The Headmaster and some of the teaching staff are monks. The main purpose is to educate Catholics in their faith and in all branches of learning. Founded as a boys’ school, it is now co-eductional: girls were admitted into the sixth form in 2000 and at age 13 in 2004. The boarding houses are scattered over a big site and provide comfortable accommodation. Much has been spent on improving facilities in recent years. A sound education is given and examination results are very good. An unusually strong music staff; musical activities play a major role in the life of the school. Games and outdoor pursuits are very popular and standards are high. As a Catholic school, discipline is firm but is exercised in the context of a strongly supportive community. The partner prep school, St Martin’s Ampleforth, is at Gilling Castle two miles from the college.