Founded in 1867, it was privately owned until 1949 when it passed to the charitable trust and company which now control it. It comprises four large, handsome, granite houses in the residential west end of Aberdeen which lie in pleasant grounds. There is a purpose-built games facility on the edge of the city. It combines nursery and preparatory departmentsand has recently opened a new primary school. There have been substantial additions to the main buildings recently, including new laboratories, computer facilities and a business education centre. The school is well equipped. Founded as a girls’ s school, it is in the process of becoming co-educational: it accepted boys throughout the lower school in 2005 and expects boys to be represented throughout the school within five years. Academic standards are high and examination results are very good. There is good provision for music and art. A range of individual sports and team games is available and good standards are achieved; several representatives at national and district level and many medals won. Clubs and activities are well catered for and the school participates in the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award Scheme.