Founded in 2012, from the merger of two local schools: Arnold School, founded as a boys’ school in 1896 but which had accepted girls from 1977; and King Edward & Queen Mary, itself a merger in 1999 of two single-sex schools, King Edward VII for boys founded in 1908 and Queen Mary for girls founded in1930. The newly merged school is now all based on the refurbished and extended site at Lytham. This is a striking 34-acre site, close to sandhills in an open and bracing position, with extensive views over the Irish Sea. The aims of the school are to provide an environment in which pupils can make the best use of their abilities and to encourage them to develop an awareness of their individual strengths. It has a reputation for providing a good, all-round academic training and examination results are very good. There is a wide range of extra-curricular activities, with sport, drama and music central to school life. There is an outdoor pursuits centre at Glenridding in the Lake District. Both the CCF and Duke of Edinburgh’s Award Scheme are well-supported.