Founded by 1256 and re-endowed in 1563, it was rebuilt on its present site in 1870. It now occupies a most agreeable estate of some 35 acres of grounds and handsome buildings, a few hundred yards from the centre of Abingdon and six miles from Oxford. Over the past 50 years there has been steady expansion, most recently adding a science centre. Facilities are good and well-maintained, and boarding accommodation comfortable (weekly boarding is a deliberate policy). Dayboys are in the majority but in many ways it feels and operates like a boarding school. Pastoral care is particularly effective. The school is Anglican by tradition. It has the reputation of being a versatile, purposeful and unpretentious school which provides an academic all-round education. A staff:pupil ratio of about 1:10 ensures high academic standards and examination results are excellent. A high proportion of sixth form leavers goes on to Oxbridge each year. Music is particularly strong. A very large number of pupils learn a musical instrument; orchestras and choirs have vigorous support, as do other musical groups. Drama is also strong and it has its own film unit. Facilities for sports and games are first rate and there are national representatives at a variety of sports and numerous county representatives. Numerous clubs and activities exist and an enterprising variety of overseas trips is organised annually. The CCF works in conjunction with community services and the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award. There are close connections with other local schools – including some joint sixth form teaching with St Helen and St Katharine girls’ school – and with the local community and The Mercers’ Company.